Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My New Home

So today was one of the funnest (is that a word?) yet most intimidating days so far!

I was eating with a new crew member in the galley (dining room) after work when my friend Fred (the one I previously mentioned a few blogs ago) invited me to come watch him and some other crew members play soccer in town. I hadn't been off the ship in two days so I practically hopped up from my seat and followed him to one of our cars (a really awesome Landrover). A few other crew members joined us and off we went!

Okay traffic in Conakry is like New York City times A BILLION MILLION. Don't believe me? Come here and see for yourself...Seriously, come here. It's amazing... Anyways, what would normally be a five minute car ride turns into a thirty minute car ride because of all the cars going every which way, people walking in front of you, bikes swerving and almost hitting you, etc. Car rides are some of my favorite things to do. I get to people watch like crazy and look at all the markets. It's beautiful! We finally get to the soccer fields (which are dirt fields and maybe two goals that look like they are about 50 years old) and the place is packed. Not to offend any American foot fairies, but I saw 7 year olds who could run circles around local high school teams. It's amazing how good everyone is at soccer. Everyone.

 Besides one other crew member, I am the only white person there. Immediately eyes are drawn to me. Some smile (mostly little kids) and some just stare. I was with all guys so they went onto the field to play which left me alone on the side lines. If were being honest, I was scared. I know very little about their culture (aka the people themselves), I know three words in french, and I'm a young, small, white girl; not the safest combination.

To my surprise, no one talked to me. People stared, but no one said anything. Now don't get me wrong, I love my country and where I'm from, but trying to blend in and have normal conversations with people is impossible as an American who only speaks english. I wish I wasn't a white english speaking American while I was here, I feel like it creates this wall between me and the locals and I hate it. While I'm here I want to get as immersed in this culture as possible. I want to know these people and their stories. I want to learn about the country's history and religion. I'm so thirsty for Guinea! Sitting at the field surrounded by people and not even trying to get to know any of them simply was not an option. I began talking to this one guy and before I knew it about fifteen Guineans surrounded me. They were all laughing at my attempts to speak french and a few of them were trying to speak english. It was pretty much the biggest epic fail you've ever seen, but I had so much fun doing it. I forgot about my fears and worries and just enjoyed my valuable and limited time with these people. I realized after my encounter with my new friends that I really need to learn french. If I want any attempt at making friends, knowledge of this language is crucial. I plan on buying an english/french dictionary and studying every night. Forming friendships with these people is the first step in showing them Christ, or for the ones who already know Him, developing and growing together in our relationship with Christ.

These people are so amazing! I've only spent probably about a total of six hours in the city since I got here last Friday, but I fall more and more in love every time I leave the port. I get worried sometimes, but God is with me every step of the way, so be reserved and shy?

I am making friends and finally getting the hang of my job. This organization is brilliantly and beautifully put together. I wish everyone could share this experience with me! If you know me well, you know I am the most nostalgic, homesick person ever! I obviously miss my family and friends, but I don't miss home. I don't miss my house, or my car, or the food. For some strange, odd, crazy reason, I feel like this is my new home. Maybe not this ship or this country, but this lifestyle.

I fully plan on spending the rest of my life doing mission work. Now for where God places me or what He wants me to do, I don't know. But I can't wait to find out.


"I will be strong and courageous; I will not be terrified or discouraged for The Lord my God is with  me WHEREVER I go" Joshua 1:9

1 comment:

  1. You are learning to open your true heart and In doing so you will begin to see what is truly before. Don't dwell on it ...just be.

    ReplyDelete