Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hopeless To Hopeful


It's my mama's birthday today and she said as a present, she wanted me to post on this thing so here you go mum!!! Happy birthday to the most amazing person I know! I miss you soooo much!!! 


I kinda forgot this blog existed and I think it's because this place is starting to feel so much like home that I have nothing new or fun to report. It all seems like daily activity. On Friday I went to the Hope Center because I got the day off work. The Hope Center is where our patients go for Pre and Post - Op care. It's about a seven minute drive and twenty minute walk from the ship. We are allowed to visit the Hope Center whenever we want and it's a really awesome time to go interact with patients of all ages! I was nervous when I first went, but the second and third times were much nicer. Seeing familiar faces who come to greet you is always an awesome feeling. The Hope Center is just what it sounds like. Hope. It gives the patients not only hope when it comes to their medical care, but also for what is to come in their future. People actually interact with them and treat them like the human beings they are instead of ignoring and ostracizing them because of their medical issues. In our culture if someone has cross eyes or walks funny, we don't treat them any differently. If they have a cleft lip or benign tumor, it's operated on and fixed before anyone even knows about it. These are life ruining handicaps here. These people are mocked at school or work and have to stop going, which leads to poverty. They have no self confidence and are ashamed of who they are. Getting to love on and communicate with these people is simply amazing. I can't even imagine how our nurses, surgeons, and physical therapists feel when they make the lame walk, the deaf hear, and the blind see all through blessings from our awesome Savior!  

Today I went to a local island with some friends. I felt like I was in the Caribbean, the island was incredible! It was really nice to relax and get away, but I literally forgot where I was until it was time to leave. I guess being out of school has really taken a toll on my brain because I brilliantly sat in the African sun for half the day without any sunscreen on. My whole body is red and I look like a mini tomato. I'll have to learn the Susu word for red person since I'm no longer a "fote" (white person). If I don't turn tan I'm going to be extremely upset hahaha. 

My birthday is next week. It's so crazy to think I'll be turning 19 (aka the most awkward age ever) in freakin Africa!!!! I would have never ever thought that this is where I would be. Crazy to see where God will lead us when we simply follow Him huh? That's about all on my side of the pond! 


"Put your hope in The LORD, for with The LORD is unfailing love and with Him is full redemption" Psalm 130:7


mercyships.org   - come join us ....SERIOUSLY. 


No comments:

Post a Comment